The ONE Campus Challenge is a college competition designed to mobilize students, faculty and alumni in the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease.
How To: Social Media
A robust social media presence is an important aspect of being a successful and active ONE Campus chapter. Social media is a critical organizing tool that will help you recruit, keep followers engaged, and amplify your team’s voice.
BEST PRACTICES TO CONSIDER:
- Set up social media accounts for your ONE Campus chapter. We recommend Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- ONE Campus requires that all ONE Campus chapter social media account handles be names as @ONEat[school name]. If that name is taken, go with @ONE_at_[enter school name].
- Once you’ve created your ONE Campus chapter’s social media accounts, send your chapter’s social handles to your Campus Manager. We’ll update the “My Campus section of our website so others can see your activity.
- Recruits a Social Media Coordinator to your executive board. S/he should manage these accounts for your ONE chapter.
SOCIAL MEDIA AS A TOOL FOR ADVOCACY
- In addition to serving as an organizing tool, social media is a hugely effective way for individual ONE members to communicate with elected leaders on behalf of ONE’s issues. You and your members’ personal presences on social media (especially Twitter) offers key digital leverage and influence with Members of Congress.
- ONE Campus campaigns often include a goal that is centered around a social media advocacy action. When generating these types of actions, it is important that individuals post/tweet from their individual social accounts
LAST BUT NOT LEAST
- Have an exciting event in the works? How about highlighting it on the ONE Campus national social media platforms? Reach out to your ONE Campus Manager if you’re interested in taking over ONE Campus’ social platforms.
- Writers wanted! ONE Campus wants to share the stories and successes of ONE Campus chapters. The ONE Campus blog has a unique collection of college and youth oriented posts related to activism, organizing, and social change. If you have a great advocacy story, campus event, or experience reach out to your ONE Campus Manager and write for us.
- TIP: Never written a blog post before? Check out HOW TO: Blog for ONE Campus
- Is there a fun new app or platform you’re using and think there’s potential for ONE Campus? Let your ONE campus manager know and we’ll give it a try!
Download the full PDF for general best practices and specific best practices for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!